Cameroon – Anglophone Crisis: Rebels bomb roadside kiosk in Nkwen, Bamenda III DO orders traders to vacate environs of Thursday’s ‘terror scene’

Par Atia T. AZOHNWI | Cameroon-Info.Net
Bamenda - 31-Jul-2020 - 13h31   2303                      
0
Remnants of Thursday's explosion Facebook
Bassilekin Georges Magloire Emmanuel, Divisional Officer for Bamenda III Subdivision has ordered roadside traders to vacate the area around the Amour Mezam travel agency following Thursday’s explosion.

Armed men loyal to the movement for the creation of a breakaway state called Ambazonia blew off an improvised explosive device early yesterday morning at the entrance to the Amour Mezam travel agency at Mile II Nkwen, Bamenda III Subdivision.

Open sources say the artisanal bomb was concealed in a roadside kiosk occupied for the sale of cooked pork. “When explosive blew off opposite PMI Nkwen, the kiosk in which it had been placed was shattered. No one was injured,” a local stated.

The Divisional Officer for Bamenda III Subdivision says the incident represents an act of terror and has encouraged increased vigilance by locals.

In a dispatch addressed to all occupants of the main frontage and secondary entrance to the Amour Mezam travel agency at Mile II Nkwen, the Divisional Officer for Bamenda III said measures are now being taken to counter-terrorism.

“As part of the fight against terrorism,” the civil administrator invited the aforementioned group of persons to urgently vacate their stores within 48 hours, counting from Thursday, July 30, 2020.

Yesterday, the Travellers neighborhood in Bamenda II Subdivision was enveloped in deafening gunshots as government forces sought to crush fighters of the non-state armed groups.

Based on information reported by the media and non-governmental organizations, Human Rights Watch estimates that at least 285 civilians have been killed in about 190 incidents since January 2020 in Cameroon’s North-West and South-West regions, where violence has been acute from late 2016, as separatists seek independence for the country’s minority Anglophone regions.

Although Human Rights Watch has been unable to independently verify each case since January 2020, they declare having interviewed, by telephone, 20 sufferers and witnesses of human rights abuses by armed separatists and government forces between mid-May and early June 2020, as well as 15 family members of victims, residents of the Anglophone regions, doctors, and representatives of civil society.

Auteur:
Atia T. AZOHNWI
 @T_B_D
Tweet
Facebook




Dans la même Rubrique