Cotonsport Garoua collect second consecutive double

Par Martin Etonge | FecaFoot
- 28-Dec-2004 - 08h30   50132                      
For the first time in over half a century of Cameroon football, a club – Contonsport Garoua – has succeeded to win the double in two straight years.
After taking the league title in early December, Cotonsport accomplished the feat of winning the double this season again by edging arch rivals Union Douala 1-0 in the Cup final on Tuesday December 28. And it was still coach Lamine Ndiaye who led Cotonsport to this feat. Last year it was with a narrow score, 2-1, that Cotonsport harvested the cup over Sable Batie. Gasper Aloma was the only scorer in this year’s cup final. After a foul on Emmanuel Amungwa in the box, Aloma converted the penalty into a goal in the 68th minute. ==>{{{=CIN-GOOGLE-ADSENSE=}}}<== The goal crowned Cotonsport’s enormous efforts during the second half of the game. Somen A Tchoyi, striker Guillaume Nkendo and veteran Placide Zoalang had helped Union have the better of the game in the first half. At the half hour the more than 50.000 fans had counted not less than five good chances for Union to get the curtain raiser. Kibong Lam could not act fast in the left corridor of Cotonsport, thereby enabling Union to orchestrate most of the offensive moves from that area. But striker Emmanuel Nouazi threw away the majority of the goal chances for Union, although it was Nkendo who started the missing jamboree as early as the second minute of play. Gautier Bello, goalkeeper of Cotonsport was overworked until he got injured in the 34th minute. Play was held up for over seven minutes. Luckily for Cotonsport, Bello survived the shock, and continued to save his side with a bandaged head. One of the best chances for Union happened in the 41st minute, but defender Boya Ntsogo of Cotonsport headed off the ball on the goal line. After resumption, Cotonsport stepped up a gear to respond to threats from Union. Just 14 minutes into the second half Cotonsport started missing the goals through Soussia. The pressure was now on Union until the penalty occurred. The game suddenly turned rough and there were two expulsions. Rene Njoh of Union received a direct red card for violence in the 73rd minute. Five minutes later it was Kibong Lam of Cotonsport who was expelled for a second bookable offence. Union’s coach, Gerard Mbimi regretted that his players were just unlucky. “Cotonsport did not play better than us, but these are things which happen and we’ll now settle to prepare for our international campaign next year”, Mbimi declared. For Cotonsport’s coach Ndiaye, they needed another title to confirm their domination of Cameroon football in the last decade. Thanks to solid determination by Cotonsport, the trophy will stay in Garoua for another year. It was sweet revenge for Cotonsport who had twice lost to Union in the championship. Emmanuel Amungwa of Cotonsport was later voted man- of- the-match.
  • E-mail 1
  • Google+
  • Tweet
  • Partagez
Dans la même Rubrique